Monday, January 11, 2010

Bloedel Conservatory

This is really quite close to where I live, and I'm ashamed to say I didn't know a thing about it until just last week. I received an email from a friend to say it is planned for closure in March, so I decided to high-tail it there on my day off. It's home to loads of exotic birds and tropical plants. It was a horrendous day weather-wise, perhaps sailing there would have been more appropriate. But the soggy shoes and socks were so worth it. 




The building is covered by a massive dome roof, and it houses a beautiful and tranquil sanctuary. I found out that the closure has been pushed back to May, but they are trying to raise enough funds to keep it open. If not all the birds (who've lived there all their lives) will have to be re-homed. As of yet they have no place to go...

1 comment:

  1. reminds me of the botanical gardens used in scenes in the movie mr wonderful

    ReplyDelete